Additional tips to make the most of your program:
- Even if your program allows phones, lay off them during your time at the program. Certainly check in with parents a couple of times while you are there, but if you are busy texting mom and friends from home, you may miss some of the experience! Take the time to meet new people and network. The friend you meet at summer intensive may end up being the person you can reach out to when you need advice for auditions!
- Shoes: take all of your shoes out of your bag each evening so they can dry out overnight. The better you take care of them, the better they will support your feet!
- Treat each class as if it were an audition and make a good impression. Wear clean tights in good condition, wear a leotard that makes you feel great, avoid sidebar conversations during class, take corrections with gratitude, and thank the instructor at the end of class. And, don’t be late! Bring and wear an old-school watch, when not in class, so you always know what time it is.
- Changing your tights mid-day can help refresh your tired legs, particularly if it is hot in the studio.
- Plan on giving your body more fuel, hydration, sleep, etc. than you usually need. You don't want to run out of steam before the end!
- Take care of your feet each night. Check toenail length and trim them at night. Check for blisters and make a plan for fine-tuning your shoe padding the next day.
- Keep a journal to record especially helpful tips throughout the day.
- Get contact information from favorite instructors and classmates to develop a network for your career.
Have a great time at your intensive!