Summer dance intensives are an exciting part of a dancer’s growth and development. You meet lots of other students that share your love of dance, you work with master teachers and you learn to become a bit more independent. It’s a great experience!
Going into the program with the right tools and supplies can alleviate some of the nerves that have a natural tendency to intermingle with your excitement.
Here is our suggested packing list (yes, you may need a large suitcase!):
- Leotards: At least one per day. Check with your program to see if certain colors or styles are required. Bring your favorites that make you feel confident!
- Tights: Lots! You will enjoy the feeling of a fresh pair mid-way through the day. Do not wear any tights with holes, stains, etc.
- Wrap Skirt (check your program to see if there are required colors)
- Character Skirt: if you will be taking character classes
- Pointe Shoes: Plan on several pairs. They will wear out quicker in the summer humidity. Be sure to rotate them to let them rest and re-harden between wearings.
- Other dance shoes: Make sure you have the right shoes for your classes: jazz, soft ballet shoes, tap, character, etc.
- Studio Warm-ups: You never know how much AC you will have, so bring some form-fitting layering warm-ups for in the studio and for covering up outside.
- Hairpins, ties, bun covers, hairnets, headbands, hairspray.
- Hip Alignment belt (some ballet programs prefer you have one)
- Manicure/Pedicure tools
- First Aid kit: Icy Hot or other sore muscle ointment, band aids, ace bandage, quick ice pack, heating pad
- Freshify spritz: all-natural, good smelling, refreshing spritz for fabric, skin and your most important dance assets (your feet).
- Dancers Dots and toe tape: for skin abrasions, cuts, blisters and hot spots. Recommended for all dance genres.
- Sewing kit
- Dance bag
- Water bottle
- Music playing device and headphones (include chargers)
- Power bars and other healthy snacks
- Laundry detergent: handwashing, or regular, depending on facilities
- Yoga or Pilates Mat
- Toe tape, toe separators, gel toes, toe pads and other point shoe accessories (some of these are good choices for other dance shoes, too!)
- Drying rack or cording to line-dry your hand-washables
- Make-up (for performances and everyday, if so inclined)
- Toiletries and a shower bucket to transport them
- Rosin: even a small amount can save the day if you find yourself performing on a slippery floor. Use proper etiquette and request permission to use it from the space manager.
- Alarm clock and a watch
- Book, craft, knitting, playing cards, something quiet to do after curfew or in between classes to wind down.
- The most comfortable walking shoes you own. No time to try out cute new shoes that will give you blisters. Give your feet a rest!
Luxery comfort suggestions available in our shop:
- Happy Feet Foot Scrub
- Bloch warm-up booties
For some additional ideas, check out our shop page: